Tuesday, 9 April 2013

WHAT IS THIS?

THIS, my friends, is a blog detailing the creation of my major work for the Writing & Cultural Studies subject called 'Writing Lab'. As with many assessments relating to this major, the scope for creativity is huge. Basically, we can do whatever we want. As long as it's innovative, substantial and contains some form of writing. Also, we must consider the work's capacity to be distributed, exhibited and/or published.  

Great, I thought, there's so many possibilities! Wait. There's too many. What should I do?? 

I don't want to write a short story and I really don't want to write yet another essay. I long to be daring and creative with multimedia, but know I don't yet have enough skills with things like film or photography. I'd like to give poetry a try, but to be honest, it scares me a little. 

So I've decided to pursue something that I've recently started dabbling in. 

Songwriting. 

When I have something to write about (yes, lately it's been love. Cliché, I know) the words seem to come naturally. As a singer, I love making words sound that much better by giving them a melody and putting them to music. 

However, I often have trouble with rhyme. Should it have to rhyme? Why does it sound wrong when it doesn't and why does it sound too familiar when it does? Also, writing music gives me a headache because the piano skills that I had cultivated throughout highschool have been withering away ever since the HSC. Nowadays you'll usually find me banging my head on the keys in the hope that some suitable chords will come out. 

But, I shall give it a try. There's no right or wrong in writing, right? Although, there is a pass or fail in Uni. And don't get me started about wanting a HD. If I do my best (whatever that means), hopefully it'll turn out appropriately inventive and academially valid. Let's go!

Now to think of some actual content...

No comments:

Post a Comment