Tuesday, 9 April 2013

WAKE ME UP – ED SHEERAN


OFTEN there's this bias against mainstream artists that have risen up reasonably quickly and get plenty of air time. A lot of people just don't see their value, or respect them as musicians. I have to admit, in many cases this view is warranted. 

However, I believe Ed Sheeran is a significant exception. He writes all his music and not only that, but his lyrics (in my opinion) are fantastic. They're honest, blunt and no matter how much he tries to squeeze into a sentence, he still manages to make it fit the melody. 

This song is one of my favourites, it's about love but avoids a lot of the cliche's (such as "you're everything to me", "you make my dreams come true") and instead focuses on his feelings toward a particular relationship. He talks about Shrek, video games, drinking and even seems to question his love for her while describing it. 

Some of the lines in this song are an absolutely brilliant use of words and description and I can't help but share them here:

"I could do without a tan on my left hand where my fourth finger meets my knuckle" (What an amazingly composed way to say I'd like to marry you!)

"I'll take you to the beach and we'll walk along the sand and I'll make you a heart pendant with a pebble held in my hand. And I'll carve it like a necklace so the heart it falls where your chest is, so now a piece of me is a piece of the beach, and it falls just where it needs to be and rests peacefully, so you just need to breath to feel my heart against yours now." 

 Simply beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment