Monday, 15 April 2013

MUSICAL MUSINGS

AS I'VE been attempting to give random conversations a melody and imagine some musical accompaniment, I've realised that the product is reminiscent of musical theatre. As an avid musical fan myself, I like the idea of having an element of the genre in my songs. Some musicals such as Les Miserables, Cats and Phantom of the Opera have little to no spoken dialogue at all, yet the conversations are easy to follow and endearing to the ear.

My own songs, however, will not be as theatrical, because I don't want to overdramatise the conversation and the characters behind them. I want to keep the lyrics realistic – which means most likely sacrificing a lot of rhyme – and also entertaining, whether by being amusing or otherwise engaging.

Also, the instruments that I plan on using will be very simple, limited only to an acoustic guitar or keyboard. Ideally, I'd love for the melody to vary with each character speaking and to make vocal sounds to reflect the setting of the situation. 

This is actually becoming exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment